If you re-bill some of your expenses back to your clients, you have the option to enable a billable field so that you can track which expenses are billable to clients when submitting them.
Enable the Billable Field
Follow these steps to complete your identity verification:
1. Click the gear in the top right corner to open the Company Settings page.
2. In the sidebar, select Optional Features.
3. Toggle on Billable Expenses.
4. Click Save.
Once this feature is enabled, a Billable toggle will appear on your expense submission forms.
Sync Billable Expenses into QuickBooks
If you use QuickBooks Online or Desktop, you can create an Expense Field in Abacus and map it to your customer list in QuickBooks so that expenses marked as billable in Abacus will arrive in QuickBooks mapped to the appropriate customer.
To set up the sync, create a custom Expense Field and map it to your customer list.
Keep these notes in mind about syncing billable expenses into QuickBooks:
- QuickBooks requires that all expenses marked as billable have a customer associated with them. If you would like your sync to include whether or not expenses are billable, you must create an Expense Field and map it to your customer list from QuickBooks following the instructions here.
- Once the custom Expense Field synced to your customer list in QuickBooks is set up, if it a customer is set on an expense, Abacus will automatically send over “Billable” or “NotBillable” for the expense in your sync.
- Please Note: Billable options are set on the GL level in QuickBooks. If an expense has a GL that isn't set up to be billable in QuickBooks, but a customer is associated to the expense in Abacus, it will error.