Many customers manage their employees in external software, which can make updating your team by individual employees inconvenient. The Team Bulk Upload feature streamlines the process of keeping your team up-to-date in Abacus, allowing you to add, update, and deactivate users in one step.
Importing your updated team information
To import your team information:
1. In your Admin sidebar, click People.
2. Click Import Users.
3. Create and upload your CSV file.
- You can download a template to create your CSV from scratch from this dialog.
- If you already have a CSV to upload, refer to the CSV formatting guidelines below to ensure a smooth upload.
4. Once the CSV uploads, you'll see a summary of all changes that will be made. Check or uncheck the boxes based on which changes you would like to make.
- If you would like to see a more detailed list of your changes, click Preview Changes to view the individual users in each category.
- If your upload fails, consider common troubleshooting issues.
- Please Note: Deactivating users means that they’ll no longer have access to their Abacus account. By default, Abacus does not apply deactivation changes, but you can choose to check that box if you would like to deactivate users who were not in your upload file.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click Confirm My Changes.
Please Note: If you have added new users, they will not receive an invitation automatically. To send them an invite, check the boxes next to their names on the People page and click Invite.
CSV Format Guidelines
You can download a template CSV to get started with when you click Import. This CSV will include all of the pre-set columns, and a column for each Team Field that you have set up in your account. If you want to create your CSV separately, follow the instructions below:
- The file must be a valid CSV (i.e. a comma-separated file)
- The file must include a column entitled “Email” - Each cell must contain a valid email address
- You can pick and choose any of these columns to include, but make sure that they have the correct titles.
- "Employee" - a member who will only be submitting expenses and/or is a manager
- "Admin" - a member with final approval permission
- "Non-Approval Admin" - a member with admin visibility but no approving permission
- Please Note: If this field is left blank, it will default to "Employee"
- Manager Email: this column will assign the manager (i.e. the first approver of the member’s expenses if enabled) to the member
- Please Note: Values for Manager email must be a valid email address. You can leave the value blank if you don't want to assign that member a manager
- Employee ID: if you utilize the employee ID feature, you can include employee IDs here
- Any active Team Fields (e.g. Department, Location, etc.). Each column must have a title row that contains the name of the Team Field.
- Please Note: The Team Fields (names and values) must be set up in Abacus prior to the upload.
Please Note: You can include columns for other values, such as employee name, but Team Bulk Upload will not pull this information into Abacus.