In the review process, an Admin or manager may deny your expense if information needs to be added or edited or if it is out-of-policy. You can find expenses that have been denied in the Completed section of the Reimbursable Expenses page or Transactions page.
Expenses can be:
- Returned: Reimbursable Expenses or Transactions that have been sent back to the submitter. These expenses can be edited and resubmitted.
- Denied: Reimbursable Expenses that have been permanently denied. They cannot be edited and resubmitted.
Resubmit a Returned Reimbursable Expense
1. In the Personal Sidebar, click on one of the following, depending on whether the expense to be resubmitted is an out-of-pocket expense or a corporate card expense.
- Out-of-pocket expenses: Click Reimbursable Expenses.
- Corporate card expenses: Click Transactions.
2. Click Completed at the top of the page.
3. Click Advanced Filters.
4. In the State dropdown, select Denied and Resubmittable. Then, click Apply.
5. When you find the returned expense that you'd like to resubmit, click the three dots icon to the right of it and select Edit & Resubmit.
6. Update the expense details and click Submit.
Split a Returned Expense
When an expense is sent back to the user to be edited and resubmitted, it shows up in the Completed section on their profile. In this state, Abacus will not allow the user to edit, split, and submit the expense.
In order to split an expense that has been sent back, the user must first resubmit the expense as it is and then immediately click on the edit option to split and save it. The other option would be to delete the expense and resubmit it.
If the expense in question was previously split and then denied, the user would have to resubmit the expenses and then unsubmit them to bring the transaction back to its original state. Once the expense is unsubmited it may then be split correctly as a new expense.
Resubmit a Returned Expense Using the Mobile App
On your mobile device, navigate to your Reimbursable Expenses tab and locate the Completed Expenses section toward the bottom of the page. You may need to scroll to find the denied expense.
Tap on the expense you would like to resubmit to open the expense submission form. Tap Edit and Resubmit Expense to make changes and send them back to your admin for review.